25 May 2007

Here's the facts, Jack

The RE who did my u/s yesterday started off by announcing numbers that were smaller than the day before. I said, "they're smaller than yesterday?"

He says, "they're not growing. That's the problem."

Turns out, he was looking at the wrong ovary.

::sigh::

Yesterday, the buggers went from 14.5 and 15 in the right ovary to 18-ish. The left ovary is, once again, playing hide and seek. Actually, it's stuck to the top of my uterus. Thank you, vestiges of endometriosis. I guess it's better than before my endo surgery many years ago. The doctor got in there and couldn't find my left ovary, because it was all twisted up in my intestine. Might explain all that pain I had been feeling during ovulation.

So I got the speech again. "Four follicles, can't guarantee we'll be able to get to the left ovary waaay up there, good possibility of no eggs, blah blah." Just for fun, he threw in "donor eggs," too.

Again, we decided to go for it. Why? Got me.

No, actually, it's because I've been jabbing the hell out of myself for two weeks. I'm miserable, uncomfortable (how the hell do you women who get LOTS of follies deal with the discomfort?!) and tired of stabbing myself. We've already paid for the meds, and yes, we'd save an awful lot of money if we cancelled, but the follies are there. What if there ARE eggs there? It's not like we can do a different protocol; I'm already on the most aggressive one. So, what the heck, let's go for it.

Today's u/s was just weird. Today's RE starts totally downplaying any possibility of reaching the left ovary. I have to face the fact that we're pretty much working with two follies. And at that size (20 & 22, left were somewhere in the 17 or 18 range*), there's a good chance there are no eggs.

Um, what? Because my follicles are TOO BIG, there's a chance there are no eggs? A) how is 20 & 22 too big, and B) knowing I was going ahead with this cycle, why did you let the two most likely follies get "too big"?

I left there with orders to take laxatives and keep my bowel empty. Empty. EMPTY! to improve the chances of reaching the LO. And with the very distinct impression that I was pissing her off by going ahead with this cycle. On the other hand, the nurses and staff were all hugely supportive, wishing me good luck and telling me to stay positive.

So, the good news is, I get a Jewish reprieve - no retrieval on Saturday! I trigger sometime tonight, and retrieval will be on Sunday. That is, assuming there's anything to retrieve. Wish us luck.


*Oh, and 3 follies under 12mm suddenly popped up today in the RO, so maybe a miracle will happen and they'll be big enough on Sunday. It could happen.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 25/5/07 11:23 p.m., Blogger Lut C. said...

Wow, talk about tackling the odds!

You go on and prove that reluctand doctor wrong.

 
At 26/5/07 9:47 p.m., Blogger Rachel Inbar said...

Ugh, I can imagine how you feel. I hope it goes better than they expect it to.

 
At 27/5/07 4:55 a.m., Blogger Natalie said...

Wow. I think I might have wanted to punch the doctor after all that. How is 20-22 too big?? o.O Makes no sense.

Here's hoping that you get some great eggs out of those follicles.

(And about the discomfort? I really don't know. When I see how huge my ovaries are on U/S I just don't understand how I'm still walking.)

 
At 27/5/07 9:37 a.m., Blogger Bea said...

Really good luck. Hoping for enough for you - whatever numbers that means.

Bea

 
At 27/5/07 8:06 p.m., Blogger miriamp said...

I took a bit of extra time in front of my Yom Tov candles to have you in mind. Friday night too. Just remember who is in charge... and it ain't the RE! Wishing you the best of all possible outcomes.

 
At 27/5/07 8:22 p.m., Blogger Thalia said...

hoping that they managed to get at the left ovary after all. They're never goign to be optimistic before a retrieval, let's face it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home