15 May 2007

And a good time was had by all

Miriam raised an interesting question in the comments of this post: Is it okay to say B'sha'ah tova (lit: in good time) to someone starting a cycle?

It's an expression typically used to convey congratulations when you find out someone is pg. Rather than saying mazal tov (good luck), which for superstitious folks, is like inviting the "evil eye." Also, there's no "luck" involved in getting pg (::snort::), because ultimately G-d (and the RE) creates life.

Anyway.

Every time I discuss our struggles with infertility with someone, they say b'hatzlacha (success). I'm thinking I like b'sha'ah tova better. What happens if we don't have success? Is the opposite of success failure? If we don't succeed at a cycle, does that mean we failed? The cycle failed? The embryo failed? The clinic failed? The mind boggles.

I appreciate the sentiment being conveyed with b'hatzlacha, but I think I'd rather hear b'sha'ah tova. In a good time. If this works, it will be a good time.

Of course, what I'd really like to hear the most is "you have a BFP." But I'll take whatever you're offering, and thank you kindly.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 16/5/07 7:41 p.m., Blogger Bea said...

Interesting.

Of course, it's nice to have people trying to wish you well, but it is *so* much nicer when they actually say the right thing.

I'll go for the third option, if possible.

Bea

 

Post a Comment

<< Home