26 July 2009

Um, hello? Anyone there?

warning: babies ment

Hi.

I will make no promises about being back. I still have all those blogs swirling around in my head that I can't seem to get out to my fingers. But in the space of a few days, I've had various kinds of contacts with old friend IF bloggers, which has made me realize how much I miss our exchanges. Life goes on, thank God so many of my IF blog friends have gone on to have beautiful children, but I've started digging around the blogs again to try to catch up on everyone. I miss you!

Meanwhile, I can comment on one thing, since moving to Israel. Israel is a very family-friendly country. Nearly everyone has kids, and nearly everything is geared towards children. It has nothing to do with all the religious Jews in Israel. Non religious families typically have 3, 4 or 5 children.

We live in a surburban town that is very family oriented. I know, why would we voluntarily do that to ourselves? We were thinking in terms of convenience at the time, not in terms of the kid-centred community.

Based on past experience of my friends having babies, I wasn't too worried that I'd have a difficult time. And gratefully, I was right. I'm surrounded by pregnant women, babies, toddlers, little kids, strollers, playgrounds, toys, laughter... Ironically, I live one building away from a daycare centre. At daycare centres here, kids spend a lot of time of outside, so it's hard to miss the yelling and laughing and general kid-like sounds.

But yet, I am, thank God, fine. I love playing with my friends' children, love watching them learn to walk and talk and interact. There are still difficult moments, and maybe I can get motivated to post about that another time. Meanwhile, I'm always pleasantly surprised to find that I'm okay. Maybe oversaturation was the key all along.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 26/7/09 10:44 p.m., Blogger Lut C. said...

So lovely to hear from you! I'm glad you're doing well in your new hometown.

 
At 28/7/09 9:25 a.m., Blogger Bea said...

Great to hear from you! Do keep dropping back once in a while.

Interesting thesis about the oversaturation. I've often wondered whether it's harder to be infertile in a culture where parents are often quite "possessive" of their children, vs one where the children are more raised by the community. Not necessarily in fully tribal fashion, but just little things like being "allowed" to freely interact with - even (gasp) chastise - other people's children without fear of being told to mind one's own business or being viewed with suspicion for your kindness.

Somebody should write a paper...

Bea

 
At 1/8/09 1:09 p.m., Anonymous Boulder said...

So nice to hear from you! Please check back in & update us as you feel comfortable doing. I know I've missed reading. :)

 
At 3/8/09 6:22 p.m., Anonymous NotAJewishMother said...

Welcome back! Good to hear aliya has gone well for you.

 
At 8/3/10 8:41 a.m., Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8/3/10 8:43 a.m., Blogger Unknown said...

Even I love playing with my friends' children. They are little bundles of joy. Hope you come back whole heartedly!!

This is Nancy from Israeli Uncensored News

 
At 2/10/15 11:53 a.m., Anonymous prasad said...

It was a nice a blog.

 
At 14/12/15 9:08 a.m., Anonymous vikramsingh said...

thanks for sharing such a blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home