05 December 2006

Outta the blue

*note: baby ment

Funny how our minds work, eh? You can go be going merrily along in life, when *WHAM* - something slaps you to the ground.

That's exactly what happened to me recently. I've been shlepping back and forth to work, passing all sorts of people, including lots of kids in strollers. No problem.

The other day, I passed yet another stroller with yet another cute baby in it. As I always do, I looked down at the child, smiled at the cuteness of it all and was suddenly hit with the strongest emotional slam I've experienced in a long while. My chest felt like I was a Lilliputian and Gulliver just stepped on me, and I started choking up. I spent the rest of my walk home trying not to dissolve in a puddle of tears.

I distracted myself by wondering why that stroller, with that baby suddenly set me off? After so many other strollers just rolled on by with no effect. Brains are weird.

4 Comments:

At 5/12/06 9:47 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. I swear, I am on the verge of just never leaving the house again because the sight of happy families breaks my heart...

~ R ~

 
At 5/12/06 11:59 p.m., Blogger Lut C. said...

Don't I know it. And it doesn't always have to be babies either, other tokens of being a family will do me in sometimes. And sappy adds targeted to families.

 
At 6/12/06 12:02 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I've had that happen too. It is like your mind tricks itself into thinking you can handle this stuff and then out of the blue it reminds you that your not as strong as you appear.

I'm sorry!

 
At 7/12/06 5:15 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have more trouble seeing pregnant women than babies. But for me it is like every pregnant woman. There are always times it seems worse. Holidays, community events, times when people are more apt to be out as families. I can't stand when someone brings a baby to show off and they pass them around. Someone also says something thoughtless that just makes it hurt even more. An overwhelming feeling of desperation comes over me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home