14 May 2008

I'll take door number 2

The downside to anonymous blogging is that when you reveal yourself to people who read your blog, and meet them in real life, you tend to think twice about what you say in your blog.

Hubby and I have "come out" to a few people and had a lovely time with them. I've now introduced myself to two lovely bloggers with whom I will be neighbours when we move to Israel. I'm really looking forward to meeting both of them in person!

The problem is, I need to rant. About something very personal. But I don't want the people I know IRL to necessarily know this stuff. Some of it has to with Hubby, and I don't want to embarrass him or make him look bad to the people who know him.

So I'm stuck having no one to talk to.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy to have met some of my fellow bloggers in person. And I'm very much looking forward to meeting my soon-to-be neighbours! I don't regret that for a moment.

It's just that... I've lost something. I'm amazed at those people who can put themselves out there, without hiding behind anonymity, having the courage to just be themselves. I've witnessed some episodes where people (usually family members) got hurt as a result of that openness, but they typically seem to work things out in the end. But those are rare occasions. The payoff of being "out there" is you have family and friends posting on your blog and being supportive. And knowing what's going on without you have to answer the same questions over and over and over. Not being anonymous definitely seems to have its advantages.

I wish I could do that.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 15/5/08 5:41 a.m., Blogger Bea said...

Ah, the double-edged sword of privacy. Good luck finding that middle ground.

Bea

 
At 15/5/08 10:40 a.m., Blogger Rachel Inbar said...

HELP! I'm a blog-wrecker :-(

Well, you could go password protected and then not give us the password / open a non-anonymous aliya blog (to solve just one part of the problem) / count on us to stop reading (yes, I could absolutely do that)

I know exactly what you mean and it really is a shame for you to lose this possibility to express yourself.

 
At 15/5/08 6:58 p.m., Blogger projgen said...

Rachel, you're not a blog-wrecker!! If anything, my first blog-to-real-life friend is the blog-wrecker ;)

Besides, the benefits far outweigh any downsides.

Bea's "middle ground" might turn out to be the person who offered to let me rant to her off-blog. I'm liking the idea!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home