07 May 2008

The meaning of life

Oh, seriously, where to start? ;)

I think I forgot to mention that last November, I lost my job.

A week later, one of my vendors offered me a job with her and her partners, knowing that it would be just until we moved to Israel. Perfect!

Three weeks after that, she decided to go off and start her own company and didn't think she'd need me.

Then she decided she'd need me, but only part-time.

I've been full-time since. So full-time, that I have no time for anything else. I use my own computer at work, so I have no computer at home anymore (don't worry, I get reimbursed!), and I'm in full-on work mode at work, so no tme for emailing, blogging, reading blogs, etc. Until recently, when I started making time.

So up until last week, I'd go to work, come home, eat dinner, spend an hour doing something - paying bills, sorting recycling, doing laundry, maybe talking to Hubby - then crash. I was under extra pressure because Hubby's not working, and since we need every penny to move to Israel, I felt like I couldn't take any time off.

This week, I said enough.


                Projgen: "Enough!"


I am trying to leave work 5 minutes early so I can catch a reasonable bus and get home before 6:30pm. Of course, when I get home, I am sorting through stuff.

Y'know. "Stuff."

The stuff you accumulate after years of living in one place.

The papers, the magazines you mean to read "someday," the tchotchkes, the silly toys and pens and binders, the 536 videotapes, the 324 cassette tapes, the family pictures - the duplicates that you meant to give to family, the blurry indistinct shot that you never threw away - the fry pan with the broken handle, the ceramic statue thing that some relative gave you that you felt too guilty to get rid of even though you really don't like it (the statue, not the relative).

Stuff.

Holy cow, do we collect a lot of stuff. And I'm pretty brutal on a normal basis as to what we get and keep, and still we have "stuff."

Moving to Israel is making us rethink our "stuff" and how much "stuff" we really need in our lives.

George Carlin is my hero.
[warning: language]

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 7/5/08 2:18 a.m., Blogger miriamp said...

We moved with clutter and even garbage once because I just couldn't deal with sorting it ... in country, of course, or it would never have worked, so I sympathize.

Hope it all works out for you.

 
At 9/5/08 12:17 a.m., Blogger Lut C. said...

So good to hear from you! Glad to hear you've been away because you're so busy and not because you can't bear to come out of bed. :-)

Moving is an excellent opportunity to declutter. Have fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home