30 March 2007

Fred's not so dead

Thanks for all your wonderful, encouraging comments! I suppose now you want an update?

Once again I'm squeaking in under the wire. Once again, I'm wishing I had finished posting about my previous cycle, so you could understand the whole squeaking in under the wire analogy. Low numbers, cancel cycle, don't cancel, no wait, uh oh only 4 follies, too bad only 2 embryos, gosh only 1 fertilized, blah blah blah.

So my FSH is 9.3. Or 9.7, I can't remember know. They like to see under 10. Squeeeeeeaked by that one. Because of my age, my RE doesn't want to wait for me to lose weight. Cool. Because of my age and previous poor response, we may qualify for a study that's being done.* The nurse in charge of the study is going to screen me after Passover, and if I qualify, I'll likely start after my next menstrual cycle.

I'm 2 pounds over the maximum weight for this study, though, so I have to boot off those pounds. And any other pounds I feel like kicking out will always help. Yep. Matzoh will be very helpful for that. /end sarcasm

But if I don't pass the screening for the study, my RE (shall I come up with a name? Sure, how about "Dr. Straightforward"? Dr. SF for short?) will start me on a heavy-duty, kick-those-ovaries-into-high-gear protocol with my next cycle. And no BCPs. I won that argument. Actually, it wasn't an argument. I brought it up, Dr. SF said no BCPs, I said okay. I wish I had more arguments like that.

Dr. SF exhibited a distinct lack of enthusiastism for the success of a cycle, however, there was a glimmer of hopefulness. In other words, we weren't dissuaded from trying. And Dr. SF knows our situation, and has been in contact with us over the past two years, so I don't think it's a case of "taking our money anyway."

Oh, and I did ask about the male hormone stuff. Dr. SF gave a vigorous headshake and said there have been some studies done on this, and some of the many side effects mimic PCOS. In the good doctor's paraphrased words, "you're already in IVF for specific issues, why give yourself *other* issues on top of that?"

So, it looks like, one way or another, we're good to go. It will be cool to finally see my name on Cyclesista.



*I don't want to say too much about the study, because it's fairly small and anonymity blah blah blah.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 31/3/07 12:06 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

{hugs} .. I'm quite slow on the email/rss reading (I just caught up on your most recent 3) but I have been thinking good thoughts for you all the same .. shabbat shalom and chag sameach! :)

 
At 31/3/07 1:30 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats! here's to a most successful cycle!

 
At 31/3/07 8:11 p.m., Blogger Lut C. said...

Those were some close shaves, no wonder you're feeling apprehensive.
But you're CYCLING!

And it will be cool to see you're name on Cyclesista.

 
At 2/4/07 9:26 p.m., Blogger x said...

I'm just so glad to see you cycling, I hope that you continue to make it through the hurdles.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home