03 May 2006

sounds of silence

The other night, I went to the mikvah. The attendant that night was someone I had never met. There was the usual conversation:

Mikvah Attendant: I don't know you, are you new to town?

Me: no, I've been here a long time [you don't know me because a) I don't have kids, so we haven't met at school functions, b) I'm not a member of your shul's kids group, c) you don't come to shul anyway, because you stay home with your kids, d) fill in the blank and add, "because I don't have kids"].

MA: Are you a member of x shul?

Me: No, I'm a member of y shul.

MA: Do you have children?

Me: Unfortunately, no.


Cue awkward silence.

6 Comments:

At 3/5/06 3:15 p.m., Blogger persephone said...

Okay, what?! WHAT!?!

I am SO coming over there to fire her.

 
At 3/5/06 4:56 p.m., Blogger Robber Barren said...

{{{projgen}}}

Ugh - that was...ouch. Not the sort of thing to say to anyone, but particularly not at the mikvah, where the wives in infertile couples are usually strongly reminded that they don't want to be there. She was probably just trying to make conversation, but it sounds like she needs some major sensitivity training.

 
At 3/5/06 5:01 p.m., Blogger x said...

I am sorry you had to deal with such insensitivity. It is neverending.

 
At 3/5/06 9:29 p.m., Blogger projgen said...

Aw, thanks you guys. (Persephone, I just had this mental image of an EXTREMELY pg woman with Donald Trump hair staring down the mikvah attendant and saying, "You're fired!" HAHAHAHAHAHA)

Yeah, I know she was just trying to make conversation - that seems to be the standard #3 question you ask in our community when you meet someone new. It's a hard enough question out in the "world;" it's a killer in the mikvah.

 
At 7/5/06 10:56 p.m., Blogger persephone said...

No, no, no. More like this. And because I love you, I'm just going to ignore that implication about my hair.

I got this question from an awful IUI nurse once ("so, no kids yet?") but she was holding a vial with my husband's sperm at the time, which made me a lot more inclined to cut her some slack.

So I guess that's an alternative response: "You'd better be holding a vial of my husband's sperm the next you ask me that."

 
At 8/5/06 9:44 p.m., Blogger projgen said...

ROFL!!! Piggy, you're fired! (Wait, I can't make implications about your hair, but you can call yourself a pig?)

And yeah, I think I'd be willing to put up with a lot from someone holding a vial of my husband's sperm. I put up with a lot from the doc who did my husband's reversal, and the doc who did the MESA, too! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home