14 June 2006

Potato chips ala projgen

I want potato chips. Since we're broke (oh, and they're really bad for you), we haven't bought chips in a long time. Not that we used to buy them so often, but once in a while they'd be a nice treat. I've been craving chips for a few weeks, so I decided I'd make my own (much healthier, too!).

And now, for your enjoyment, the result of my experiments:
Infertility Chips*
3 medium sized potatoes
pinch kosher salt (large, coarse salt)
Preheat oven to 500°

1. Scrub the potatoes (I don't peel them, but you can if you want to lose all those yummy nutrients)

2. Slice them as thin as you can (if you have a veggie slicer, slice 'em about 1/8" thick)

3. Soak slices in a bowl of water (make sure water covers slices completely) for about an hour

4. Remove slices from water and pat dry with a towel

5. Spray cookie sheet with olive oil if you have a mister, if not, just smear some around with a paper towel.

6. Sprinkle a little bit of kosher salt onto the cookie sheet

7. Lay chips in a single layer on cookie sheet, then lightly spray with olive oil

8. Bake for 7 minutes, flip chips over, bake for another 7. Watch them carefully towards the last few minutes - depending on your oven, it may take less than 7.

Depending on the size of your cookie sheet, you may have to do a few batches. Or just make one potato.

I didn't think they needed any additional salt, but salt as needed.

Enjoy!

To flavour them, add flavouring to water - vinegar & salt, ketchup, etc. We're going to experiment with barbecue!

I'm also going to try sweet potatoes, so I'll let you know how that goes.


* Well, why not? We're either being told to lose weight to do a cycle, or we're sadly squeezing that bit of belly we got from our last round of injections. Why not something decadent and not so bad for us? Of course, the fertile world can enjoy them, too.

3 Comments:

At 14/6/06 6:54 a.m., Blogger persephone said...

Okay, sweet potato oven fries (same idea, just cut into fry shape) ROCK. You might never miss the regular kind again.

And, um, hi. :D

 
At 14/6/06 8:57 p.m., Blogger x said...

I LOVE chips. I just might have to try that out. The S&V sound super yummy.

 
At 14/6/06 10:30 p.m., Blogger projgen said...

Hubby makes oven fries with regular 'taters. I will have to convince him to use sweet next time! Yum.

I'm a purist with my flavours. Give me plain or bbq. I only mentioned the flavours cause I love y'all so much ;)

Oh, yeah, and, 'seph? Hi back :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home