31 May 2006

Cross my heart and hope to… whatever

I promised myself that I would write every day. Not necessarily blog, but write. Every day. Even if I had nothing to say. And today I don’t have anything to say, really. But I’m so proud of me: I’m writing! Be proud of me, dammit! It’s not often I promise to do something and then actually stick with it. I’ve been saying, “I’ll go back on my diet tomorrow” for months now. No, I’m not one of those people obsessed with weight. I am slightly overweight, and actually, I’m fine with that. Or rather, I used to be fine with it. Until we started down the Road of Infertility™. You can’t be overweight in the infertile world. Extra weight apparently decreases the success rate of embryo transfers, and increases the risk of miscarriage in the event of a successful transfer. I was told to lose weight before our first cycle. We weren’t even allowed to start until I had lost a certain amount of poundage.

Hey, look at that! I found something to say, after all.

So here we are, wondering about a second cycle. I’m foolishly allowing myself to get HOPEful that we’ll be able to come up with the money to afford another cycle. Stupid, stupid. Anyway, one of the beautiful side effects of a failed cycle is ugly weight gain in the belly-through-the-butt zone. Fortunately, I didn’t actually gain that much weight back, but I still have to lose it if we’re going to do another cycle. It was really hard the first time. I have all sorts of physical issues that make regular exercise difficult. And since my primary problem with weight is a metabolism whose ass needs to get kicked - hard - in order to wake up (I eat very healthfully, thank you very much), I must do more than walk briskly for 45 minutes a day if I am to actually lose anything other than patience.

So, since I’m pretty okay with myself the way I am, and since I remember how much I loved (not!) exercising, I think this time I’m going to adopt a new strategy: I’m waiting until I see the cold hard cash before I lift a single gluteous maximus.

4 Comments:

At 31/5/06 9:36 a.m., Blogger Serendipity said...

Yeah projgen! I'm with you on that exercising.

I wonder if being Orthodox means one is religious...

and does one stop being an orthodox if one does not want to be religiuos anymore?

 
At 31/5/06 9:50 p.m., Blogger Lut C. said...

My doctor doesn't require me to lose weight before he'll continue to treat me, but hinted at it.
I'm convinced I have a slow metabolism too, though perhaps I'm just making excuses for being lazy. Next week I'm seeing a nutritionist.

 
At 1/6/06 12:04 a.m., Blogger projgen said...

Welcome, Serendipity! When someone identifies themselves as an Orthodox Jew, they are typically identifying as a "religious" or "observant" Jew, meaning they try to follow all the commandments as identified in the Torah and Talmud, the written and oral Law.

I don't believe one has to be Orthodox to be religious, but most Orthodox Jews are religious (I'm generalizing, for sure). I'm sure you'd find a lot of Conservative and Reform Jews who consider themselves religious.

Did that help? ;)

Lut, you don't have to answer, but is your BMI above what's considered "normal"? Mine is, and my doctor basically told me that if we're going to do a cycle, we should go into it with the best odds possible. And that included getting closer to an "acceptable" weight. Good luck with the nutritionist! I think healthy eating is more important than actual weight (excepting extreme obesity) anyway.

 
At 1/6/06 1:19 p.m., Blogger Meg said...

Ah, forcing oneself to write everyday. Good luck! I promised myself that too, but it's reporting time for me. ARGH!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home