28 December 2005

bah humbug

Oh, fooey on this whole "war on christmas." I've always wished my non-Jewish friends a "Merry Christmas" and if they wished me the same, I would usually say I'd be celebrating Chanukah, but "thank you for the wishes."

I didn't mind that the television stations would wish their viewers "Happy Holidays." In fact, I think it was nice to be so inclusive. This year, it seems there's been a backlash against the backlash against the "war" and most tv stations I noticed had switched to "Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah." That's fine, too.

Except... ON the 25th, me-n-hubby were watching the news, and the newscaster ended with, "we'd like to wish all our viewers a very Merry Christmas."

AND...????

So on the one year that christmas and Chanukah are actually ON THE SAME DAY, they decide to just stick with the christmas message.

Thanks a bunch. Just for that, I'm not sharing my latkes with you.

Chag Urim Sameach!

5 Comments:

At 28/12/05 1:34 p.m., Blogger Lut C. said...

When I was a little girl, we became good friends with a Jewish family living in our neighbourhood. I remember they gave me a Chanukah present, it was a stuffed animal: Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer. :-D I'm sure we still have it somewhere.

There was no war on christmas then. :-)

Its very thoughtful of you to link to pages explaining dreidl, Chanukah etc.
Please don't stop.

 
At 28/12/05 9:25 p.m., Blogger K|nneret said...

It pissed me off too. Glad I'm not alone in that and I'm not sharing my latkes with them either :)

Good luck to you in your journey.

 
At 28/12/05 10:36 p.m., Blogger projgen said...

Lut, I received a Jingle Bear from someone for Chanukah once. Complete with santa hat, squeeze his paw and he plays "Jingle Bells." Thanks for the nice words.

Kinneret, I think we should keep the secret of sufganiyot away from them, too! Thank you for the warm send-off.

 
At 29/12/05 1:12 a.m., Blogger Liz Miller said...

My uncle taught me to sing "Herman the Hanukah Candle" so as not to offend the more conservatively Jewish relatives. (I come from an immediate family of Christmas and Hanukah celebrating Jews)

 
At 29/12/05 2:26 a.m., Blogger projgen said...

I have non-Jewish relatives, and one felt bad that I didn't have "Santa Claus" so he created "Chanukah Charlie." He didn't want me to feel left out. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home